Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Writing on the Wall

I clearly fail at meeting goals I set for myself here on this blog. (re: Sondheim posts I claimed I'd be making in the previous post.) I'm therefore never promising any posts and will just post as I please. Moving on!


The Mystery of Edwin Drood is a musical based off the Charles Dickens novel of the same name. The novel was never finished and therefore Dickens' intended ending remained a mystery itself. Rupert Holmes (Drood's composer and book writer) decided to create alternate endings for the show, every possible ending, and every night the show's audience as a collective was allowed to participate and decide "whodunit". For this show, Holmes won Tony Awards for Best Book and Best Original Score, and the show won a few other Tony Awards, including Best Musical.



Betty Buckley is one of those Broadway legends who will make you glad you saw a show even if the show itself was the worst piece of garbage to ever exist. Luckily, this show is not one of those and Buckley is in RARE form here. Just listen to that big note at 2:55!

No comments: